Mon to Fri 11am-6pm

Valley and Sea

It was the sort of day in Dorset that you dream of. We woke to clear, brilliant sunshine and after breakfast went down to the sea, for a walk on Chesil beach. The sun was remarkable, beating hot, and we lay on the stony shingle and listened to the great, slow drumbeat of surf rolling in, while Max, Bridie's dog, sniffed new smells around the shore. The views up and down the coast were intense—one could see for miles, from Portland to Golden Cap, and the sun shimmered on a clear blue sea that looked out of a Mediterranean summer.

Later, when I dropped Bridie, Max and Monica, back the station, I got back home and went for a quick walk on the hills above the Parsonage. The light was remarkable, streaming through a soft sea mist and the late afternoon smoke from a bonfire. Readers of Tolkien would have thought themselves in Middle Earth. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a beautiful day in West Dorset.

and finally, who came for tea? Max.

• Right here is the perfect site for anybody who wants to understand this topic.
      You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would
      want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a
      subject that's been written about for decades. Excellent stuff, just excellent!

• modernplum says:

I have never been to Dorset but feel as if I have after looking at your photos. The greens here are different, so much richer than anywhere in the states. That's the brilliant thing about photography - they can give us a window into worlds that we may not see with our own eyes. They are beautiful.

• pve says:

You got me at "went for a quick walk on the hills above the parsonage" - what stunning images.
      Breathtaking. I would be your assistant in a heartbeat.
      pve

• I just want to say thanks to you for these beauty. Someone like, love and appreciates your pictures.

• Beautiful photos

• Ivy says:

It's just lovely.

• jo says:

your photos are killing me!! so beautiful.

• bumbleathome.blogspot.com says:

Your pix are heavenly,but as a young Shi Tzu I would love to meet Max he looks adorable,as does your painted kitchen floor.

• Laura says:

Hi Ben, I've just stumbled across your blog and love it. Like you I am based between West Dorset and London and write a home & inteiors blog. I loved my walk at Eype yesterday morning and these pictures really brought a smile to my face, we are so lucky to live in such a stunning place! Laura

• Diane says:

Beautiful!! Ohhh, Max must be the most charming guest for tea.

• Becky says:

thank you thank you for the beauty. Someone in Oklahoma appreciates your pictures. :)

• Deirdre McSharry says:

Ravishing pix. reminds me why I live in the west country, Deirdre

• charlotte says:

Yes, I saw the chairs too - they're great! As are these shots. What a perfect day to be down by the sea.

• Rosemary says:

Lovely photographs Ben - these last few days of warm, sunny weather have been an absolute delight. Saw your chairs featured in the Sunday Times “Home” Section yesterday, and recognised them immediately.

• Clare says:

I'm living in Australia, and have spent most of my early life in Dorset, in just the areas of which you write. Your images and prose summon for me everything I yearn for. My weekly fix from your blog is sustaining me - until I move back over there at the end of April (after 15years away). Thank you - for your photos, for your descriptions, and for bringing a little piece of Dorset to the other side of the world.